Our region hosts many different types of plants and herbs, and linden is one of the most well-known ones. Though we store its leaves and flowers by the bag-full, and though it’s an indispensible items in our spice cabinet, we don’t use it for much more than making tea. When I decided to add this mild tea for cooler months to rice pudding, I thought that the flowers especially would add a mild but aromatic flavor to my dessert. Sometimes one must take risks to create unexpected flavors, don’t you think?
When I made my rice pudding I saw that, just as I suspected, the milk and linden went really well together. And the cinnamon and unshelled hazelnuts I sprinkled over the top made my linden rice pudding even better. I’ve always liked how the Black Sea region serves their famous rice pudding with hazelnuts sprinkled on top. So I sprinkled both hazelnuts and cinnamon on my rice pudding. Cinnamon is also an addictive flavor that goes well with both linden and with milk.
Let’s see how you will find the taste of linden in rice pudding, after drinking it for years as tea!
- 3 ¾ cups milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 10g linden
- 3 tablespoons rice
- 1 Turkish teaglass rice flour
- ¾ cup unskinned hazelnuts, crushed.
- 5g cinnamon
- Pour all of the milk into a saucepan and add the 10g linden.
- In another pot boil the rice, and when it’s cooked put it in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl mix together the eggs and sugar, whisking until it becomes white.
- Add the sugar and egg mixture to the saucepan containing the milk, mix well.
- Heat the saucepan at medium heat until boiling, continuing to stir.
- When the milk begins to boil, pour the boiling mixture through a strainer into another saucpan and continue to boil in the new saucepan.
- Mix together the rice flour with ½ Turkish teaglass water until it becomes concentrated.
- Add the rice flour mixture to the saucepan and mix it in well with a wire whisk.
- Finally, add the boiled rice to the milk mixture using a ladel, and allow to boil a little while longer.
- Remove from heat, pour rice pudding into serving bowls.
This post is also available in: Turkish